Sunday, January 3, 2010

Better than sliced bread

A warm, just baked loaf of sea salt, cracked pepper, lime zest and oregano bread - doesn't it just sound like something you could curl up and fall asleep with? This was my Saturday morning local treat and I found it at The Butcher and The Baker in Stratford's downtown core.

Many of us remember Luke Sheepers, the 'baker' of The Butcher and The Baker, as that friendly and eccentric owner of the former Breadworks. He may be working in a different building with new business partner, Rick Frank, but he continues to produce the best darn bread in town.

There's just something so wholesome and nurturing about bread. I'm not sure if it calls up a biblical reference for me, or if the smell reminds me of childhood innocence. What I do know is there's a reason why our real estate agent told us to bake a loaf before we had an open house years ago. The smell of freshly baked bread gets you every time. Did the house sell? You bet your baguette it did.

I like that Sheepers doesn't slice his bread either. Sure, it would be more convenient, but there's something meditative about slicing your own bread. Sawing through that golden crispy crust until you hit the soft supple inside that glides on the blade like a daydream on a cloud.

To pay homage to the sea salt, cracked pepper, lime zest and oregano combination, I built a beautiful sandwich. On one side I spread some mashed avocado laced with lime juice and salt. I layered it with juicy turkey breast, creamy havarti, a little onion, tomato, leaf lettuce and topped it with a bit of mayo and dollop of homemade salsa. It practically belted out Pavarotti ballads to me on a plate!

And like a lost love, my taste buds are still reminiscing about it today.

Sigh.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds tasty! I will look for that type of bread next time I'm there - so nice having that store downtown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya, indirectly (or is it directly!?) you are an excellent sales person...after reading your blogs, not only am I famished for cheese, bread, beer...but I want to move to Stratford! Great writing Tanya...LOVING the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lindy - no paycheques are coming my way for 'selling' such glorious products, but that is one brilliant idea! Now to just find someone who would pay me to do this joyful work...

    Listen, if you move to Stratford, I will personally take you out and sample all these wonderful things again with you. It would really be my pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tanya....I love this....being a longtime Stratonian I am even finding out about great places to shop...thanks...will be a regular visiter to the site..

    ReplyDelete