Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sunshine in a jar


When you rise regrettably early on a Sunday morning to opal skies and an outdoor thermometer reading of -19 C, you have to do something to prevent yourself from running out the back door in your housecoat, tuque and untied boots, jumping onto the iceblock called the seat of your car, and hightailing it all the way to Florida without mere mention of your fandangled plans to a single family member.

Er something like that. To warm up and brighten your day and stuff. Sigh.

So this frosty January morning, I found solace when instead I walked my fingers through the pantry and landed on a half-pint jar of jellied sunshine: Moss Berry Farm Pure Apricot Jam.

I'm not a fruit preserve junkie like some of my relatives from across the pond, but something about apricot jam spread on warm, slightly buttered toast complemented by a hot cup of peppermint tea, was such a civilized way to greet the day. If only Coronation Street was broadcast that early in the morning.

Located at RR5 Embro, about 25 km from Stratford, Moss Berry Farm makes a variety of preserves from the best fruit available on the market for retailers across Canada. I bought my jar from Bradshaws in Stratford. Moss Berry Farm also offers farm kitchen samplings and tours, a gift shop, tea room, and nature walks through its 20-acre black walnut grove; it even caters lunches for 20 or more.

I have yet to tour this local hidden treasure - mostly for fear of facing the bitter outdoors right now - but I'm storing the idea in the back of my mind for a warmer Sunday afternoon drive.

Berry soon, I hope.

2 comments:

  1. Now that sounds tasty! I love learning about all these cool local things - that I have either forgotten about - or just didn't know about.
    (p.s. - another Coronation Street fan here!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Krista - I heard there's even a Corrie Group that dresses up and gathers at The Parlour now and then - have you heard of this?

    ReplyDelete