Sunday, March 7, 2010

What may be lurking in your lingerie drawer...is edible


It's not just to aromatize your bathtub, potpourri your drawers or repel scorpions in the south of France (ever seen 'A Good Year?' Brilliant movie). Lavender is for eating! The French have been ingesting it for years and I hear they think we're tellement fou for not cooking with it sooner!

Culinary Lavender is totally hot. Gastronomic gurus from near and far are using it in their most decadent dishes. It's popping up in ice cream, preserves, honey and even chocolate.

Lavender Blue was one of the many joys I discovered at the Stratford Garden Festival last weekend. It's a line of gourmet products and gifts derived from an exquisite lavender farm just outside of Sparta, Ontario.

Proprietor, Suzanne Steed, is a Stratford native and collaborated with her sister, Kristene Steed, owner of Rheo Thompson, on Lavender Blue chocolate. While I was suspicious of its splendor, I was sold at first bite. This stuff is awesome.

I also picked up a jar of lavender-infused honey. It's wonderful in herbal teas and baking and I understand it makes a terrific glaze for grilling chicken or pork.

Lavender Blue's line extends to bath and body products, jams, jellies, house and garden products and gift baskets.

But seriously, about the chocolate, you gotta try some. There's a stash of it at Rheo Thompson and I'd love to hear if you enjoy it as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment