Friday, March 19, 2010

Best RMT in town helps cultivate self-care

About six years ago, I wrote a column for The Record called 'Confessions of a Newlywed.' I remember one article where I confessed my cluelessness in the garden, insisting the perennial patch my husband and I acquired with our new home was infringing on our wedded bliss. It's amazing how much I've grown over this period of time. Today, as a more, dare I say, "mature" wife and mother, I have learned to find solace in the garden. It has a funny way of making me kinder. More patient. Nurturing and compassionate toward living things. Amazing that these powerful life lessons were found in a pile a dirt.

Of course, I've only just touched the topsoil. I still have many layers to unearth.

Taking care of the garden has also helped me understand how important it is to take care of myself. Simple but true: you reap what you sow. And so during this busy maternity leave year that is quickly coming to a close, I've learned that taking care of myself just makes everything else in my life (and notably, in my family members' lives) run smoother. It's the replenishing rain that isn't just a nice touch, but necessary.

One way I've learned to take care of myself is by scheduling monthly massages. And I'm confident that I've discovered the best registered massage therapist (RMT) in town. Her name is Nonie Ferguson and she works at the Brunswick Massage Centre in Stratford.

Nonie is clearly passionate about her craft and it was no surprise to learn that she was top of her class. Before she begins treatment, she spends time talking with you to understand what muscles to target and the best approach to take that day. She's incredibly knowledgeable and even when I was nine months pregnant, I trusted her completely.

I like that Nonie consistently greets me afterward with a glass of water and a short debrief on what she noticed during treatment. She's quick to demonstrate exercises you can do to target specific muscle groups to continue the healing at home. I leave Nonie's office feeling like all the stress and tension I had (and some I didn't realize I had) lift away like a cloud on a breeze. I always sleep better that night and feel the effects of the massage the next day.

Self-care isn't a luxury. It's important. It has the power to prevent you from slipping into depletion and martyrdom. Running on fumes isn't good for you or the people around you - believe me, I know. Massage therapy is one way to take back a little piece of yourself; its nourishment always seems to have a ripple effect.

Many employers cover registered massage therapy in benefits packages because it contributes to healthy living. In a sense, it removes the weeds and nourishes the soil, helping you grow into the colourful living entity you were meant to be.

And as my shoulders reunite with the raking, digging and planting season, I have a feeling Nonie's going to have her work cut out for her this spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment