Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Local vs. Organic - what do you think?

I'm having a local vs. organic dilemma. As you've read, buying local is very important to me, and harvest certainly is plentiful this time of year. However, buying organic is also near and dear, especially now: I'm 5.5 months pregnant and trying to provide my growing baby, 17-month old toddler, husband and self with ample nutrition, free of as many pesticides as possible.

While the grocery store isn't my favourite place to buy food, I find it difficult to completely avoid. I'm pleased that our Zehrs in Statford is promoting local foods in a prominent section as you enter the store, but much of its organic food comes from afar.

Just last Sunday, I found myself hovering over the produce section: do I buy my toddler Ontario peaches - local, fresh, his favourite and also part of the dirty dozen - or do I opt for the organic nectarines from California? It's not helping my cause, but this time I chose the nectarines.

Thankfully there are places like the Organic Oasis, Pfenning's Organic and the Gentle Rain in Stratford that offer local organic alternatives (which aren't as expensive as I initially thought). But their offerings are limited and won't help me come winter.

I suppose I could set aside some time to do some freezing and canning like I tried for the first time last year, although the energy stores are low these days! I wish a return to organic farming was as popular in Ontario as it is in California.

While 'organic vs. non-organic' is one of today's hot topics, I've read enough about carcinogenic effects of pesticides to steer me clear of the dirty dozen.

Maybe I'll chat with LOFT Market again at Savour Stratford in September to see if they're reconsider adding Stratford to their drop-off route.

And if you have any other suggestions (who's up for an advocacy campaign?!), I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment