Sunday, April 25, 2010

A walk on the wild side

Nothing connects me to the bigger picture like a walk in the woods. It's here where I find pieces of my soul hidden under dewy rocks, curled into fiddlehead spirals and peeking through the flaps of jack in the pulpits. On Sunday morning I discovered these and countless other treasures on a foraging trek at Wildwood Conservation Area, led by expert forager Peter Blush.

It's amazing what plentiful harvest you'll find on the forest floor: morel mushrooms, watercress, fiddleheads and wild leeks just a 10-minute drive up the road. A calm misty rain only added to the splendor; I haven't traipsed through the mud like that since I was a kid. I loved the way the fresh air seemed to electrify each cell. And the sound of my rubber boots suctioning to the earth: pure joy.

Chef Chris Woolf of Woolfy's Restaurant, at the edge of St. Marys, joined us and later treated the group of 18 foragers to a freshly plucked meal, including wild leek and potato soup. It was absolutely delicious, as was the rest of the meal, which ended with a white mousse made with McCully's Hill Farm maple syrup.

I will definitely return to Woolfy's soon. In addition to impeccable service, the food is fresh, delicious and clearly made with the greatest of care.

Thank you to McCully's Sara Bradford for organizing such an enchanting event. I'll be back for next season's series.

No comments:

Post a Comment