Saturday, June 26, 2010

Get your kicks at The Annex


There's something about the Annex Room Restaurant that just exhales comfort. The menu is elegant but casual with comfort food abound: gourmet pizzas of multiple varieties, dijon-crusted chicken surpreme (one of my favourites), beef tenderloin, Asian mango salmon, pastas like shrimp or chicken linguini, teriyaki chow mein, spinach and ricotta ravioli. Yumm.

Its appetizers are fabulous, and I use that word sparingly. When I was there last Saturday, I ordered its salad special: a Thai-inspired beauty with cabbage and peanut sauce that had me thanking to Buddha for such a delicious gift. I also couldn't pass up the 'Annex Mezze Plate for Two' with a trio of dips and spreads served with warm pita bread. And then I remembered - every meal at The Annex starts with a warm bulb of roasted garlic that spreads on freshly-baked bread "like butta." Let's just say I had to take half of my main course home. My eyes instantly grow bigger than my belly at this place!

And why wouldn't they, especially with so many dishes being inspired by fresher-than-fresh local offerings. Talk to Christine and she'll tell you that many of The Annex's fruits and vegetables come from her father's own garden.

Christine is just one of the members of The Annex who will make your experience first-rate. This place is all about service and extreme hospitality. Last year, my husband and I decided to host our son's post-baptism lunch at The Annex for 30-some family members. I was, and continue to be, amazed by the outstanding - and affordable - food and impeccable service. Each time I go in there I feel like family from the moment I walk through the door.

Cheers to The Annex Restaurant. You've raised the bar on the Stratford dining experience. And that is really something.

No comments:

Post a Comment