Sunday, May 23, 2010

A tip of the hatzo for Pazzo


Why has it taken me so long to write about Pazzo? I'm pazzo about Pazzo! I've been there more times than I can count. Mostly to the pizzeria because pizza happens to be one of my favourite foods and Pazzo is my all-time favourite pizzeria (Chef Greg Kuepfer belongs in the Pizza Hall of Fame and thank you a thousand times for inventing the Medici). However, on Sunday night, I gathered my crew and ventured upstairs to the ristorante where we basked in the swanktacular decor and were served up the most scrumpterrific dishes.

I'm not going to lie to you - the evening began with cocktails. Martinis to be precise, and our dear friend Megan whipped us up a rainbow of the prettiest little elixirs, including: a Farmer's martini, the Bee's Knees, Pomtini and Do Not Go Gentle. Rrrow!

And then came the food. But before we get to the courses, can we please pause for a minute to pay tribute to Pazzo's focaccia? I'm not sure where they get this stuff (maybe it's made in house) but deLICIOUS! Soft spongy interiors with a lightly crusted top that is sprinkled with quality salt. You know, the fleur-de-fancy stuff that just tastes better.

Onto the appetizer: I started with a salad of roasted asparagus, ricotta salata and beets with walnuts and thyme vinaigrette. There's nothing like just-plucked asparagus in its prime.

I'm a sucker for risotto, so I just couldn't pass it up on the menu, especially after our server sang its haute praises. She didn't let us down - I don't think I've tasted vegetable risotto accented with mascarpone and mint. Amazing.

And that, my friend, is what I love about Pazzo: if it's in season, they're serving it up. Chef Sean Collins and Sous-Chef Yva Santini take special care to ensure you're enjoying the plentiful harvest that Perth County has to offer.

The Grand Finale: lemon and olive oil tart with creme fraiche gelato. I mean, seriously.

So yeah, I'm running out of adjectives for this place and its food. Spectacular. There's another. Just go. You'd be pazzo not to!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Pazzo too! One of my favourite pizza joints (besides John's in NYC).

    ReplyDelete
  2. And so much closer than NYC! :) Thanks for your comment, Krista. Always great to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete