Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Simple Photograph


For as long as I can remember, I've had this thing about putting photographs to music. Something about the combination makes my heart soar. On the last day of class before summer vacation, my high school would hold slide shows in the auditorium; a collage of photographs from throughout the year brought to life by music. I remember bubbling up with bliss as I watched, feeling a deep connection to people I didn't even necessarily like, sprouting this overwhelming urge to wrap my arms around my high school brothers and sisters, pull them in close and just love up on them!

Documenting life is important to so many of us. It takes us back to moments we may have otherwise forgotten, gives us permission to revel in the past and helps us share similarities and differences. Photographs, in all their glory, have a magical way of punctuating our existence.

Seven years ago, I stumbled upon a photographer so gifted, her work sings all on its own. She's local - currently resides in Goderich - but I know she's travelled all over to meet people who want to capture a treasured moment, feeling, or the hands of time in an exquisite photograph.

Her name is Erin Samuell and her company is A Simple Photograph. I've worked with Erin on a number of occasions, as have my friends. Last summer, the Stratford Shakespeare Festival even had her running around town snapping shots for its website and promotional material. No matter what you're looking for (wedding, family, corporate photos or other), Erin has a way of making you feel so at ease in front of a lens.

What's more, instead of charging by the photo, as so many photographers do, Erin gives you a complete DVD of all your photos so you can get as many copied as you like, wherever and whenever you want. She's also down to earth, heaps of fun to work with and creative beyond measure. I guarantee you will be blown away by the brilliance that emerges from a wee two-hour shoot.

Simply put, A Simple Photograph is a national treasure found right in our own backyard. Lucky us.

1 comment: